Search This Blog

Saturday, June 2, 2012

AIDS Activist: Still More Work to Be Done


AIDS Action Committee (AAC) will hold its 26th annual AIDS Walk/Run this Sunday at the DCR Hatch Shell in Boston. The organization helps those affected by HIV/AIDS connect with essential services and raises awareness about the disease.

Kim Wilson is a peer-advocate at AAC who will be participating in the event. Wilson, a native of Philadelphia who moved to Boston in her 20s, found out she was HIV-positive four years ago. But her involvement in the walk predates her diagnosis.

“I’ll never forget: one year, I was really sick that year. It was before I got diagnosed. And I encouraged a whole group of people at my job to walk. I was like, ‘You guys, go out there, walk, it’s the first week of June. I can’t walk, but it’s a great cause. Go out there, volunteer. The people at the agency are really, really nice.’ And my friends went out and did it,” Wilson recalled.

AAC helped Wilson rebuild her life after her diagnosis. “When I got out of the hospital, I had no job. [Through AAC], I learned a lot about the service system: where to get food stamps, how to get disability, how to get help for housing, and funding for medication.”

For more information on Sunday’s walk, visit: http://www.aac.org.

The Friends of AIDS Foundation is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for HIV positive individuals and empowering people to make healthy choices to prevent the spread of the HIV virus. To learn more about The Friends of AIDS Foundation, please visit: http://www.friendsofaids.org.

TOGETHER WE REMAIN STRONG!