Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Attempted Murder Charges for Kentucky Inmate With HIV


Charles Clark has been in and out of Louisville Metro Corrections since 2009. At 22 years old, his criminal record is lengthy. He's been HIV positive since 2010 and has spent most of that time behind bars for charges including theft, terroristic threatening, and assault charges.

It's his latest charge from an incident while behind bars on February 1 that's making headlines.

Louisville Metro Corrections officials say Clark threw urine at one of the officers and due to his health status, he's now facing attempted murder charges.

Clark agreed to meet with WAVE 3's Matt McCutcheon for an exclusive interview about his life and the new charges.

When asked what was life was like as a child, Clark responded, "Horrible. I grew up in foster homes and group homes."

When asked if he felt like anyone has loved him, Clark responded, "My girlfriend, that's about it."

Clark says it's that girlfriend who transmitted the HIV virus to him. She learned she's positive while he sat behind bars.

"They drew my blood here and I found out November 2, 2010 that I was HIV positive," Clark said.

Life has since been a challenge for him.

"There's nothing I can do about it to change it. I could live to be 60, 70 years old with the medical advances they've found as long as I take the medication every day for the rest of my life."

But it's everyday interactions that's a challenge for Clark, and the officers inside Metro Corrections.

When asked what's prompted some of his violent outbursts Clark said, "I just have really poor impulse control I can't find a way to cope that works for me."

Police say it's putting their lives at risk. Clark explains some of his past tirades.

"While I was at the Emergency Room the officer was smiling at me so I spit on him," he said while referring to one event.

"I kicked the cop car window," he said referring to a separate incident.

But it's the incident on February 1 that has him facing assault and attempted murder charges.

"I was just trying to help a friend of mine get some extra money," Clark said. "I threw the urine under the door so he could get biohazard cleanup pay, which he gets an extra $2 for cleaning up biohazard stuff so I threw urine under the door."

That HIV positive urine instead hit an officer.

"He missed the inmate and struck our officer in the face. Our officer had to go to University Hospital and receive treatment," said Major William Ashby with Louisville Metro Corrections.

When asked if you regretted doing that Clark said, "Yeah. It was stupid. I didn't know the officer was standing there. He was signing a person's paper next door to me and I couldn't see him; I didn't know he was there. As soon as it happened I apologized to him."

At just 22 years old, he sits behind bars "Petrified. It's a very serious charge. You make mistakes but you have to learn from those mistakes," Clark said.

"It's bothersome that he's assaulted officers. It's bothersome that he's also assaulted other inmates as well," Ashby said.

Charles Clark's attempted murder charge will continue to work its way through the court system. In the meantime, he'll continue to be housed at Metro Corrections.

Source: Wave News

The Friends of AIDS Foundation is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for HIV positive individuals and empowering people to make healthy choices to prevent the spread of the HIV virus. To learn more about The Friends of AIDS Foundation, please visit: http://www.friendsofaids.org.

TOGETHER WE REMAIN STRONG!